One of our favourite things to do when you have leftover brisket (assuming that ever happens to you…) is to turn that into rich chili. And then what better dish served on top of a bunch of chips with some guacamole and sour cream. So when we recently bombed a brisket cook (it happens), Brisket Nachos was the perfect dish to whip up.
We also decided to swap out the corn chips this time and pair it with some homemade potato chips, sliced thin, crisped up and pimped with some chilli salt. Absolutely amazing flavour.
CHILLI SALT POTATOES
- 5 potatoes (we used Desiree)
- Chilli salt (we used Three Blue Ducks)
- Sunflower oil
CHILLI SALT POTATO METHOD
- Preheat an oven to 180c and prepare a tray with a lining of baking paper. Wash and dry the potatoes and then thinly slice using a mandolin.
- Brush the potatoes in a little bit of sunflower oil and sprinkle the chili salt over it. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes check and turn the potato slices over and sprinkle again with salt.
- Once crisp, remove from the oven to cool
While these are cooking and cooling, prepare your brisket chili.
BRISKET CHILI INGREDIENTS
- Leftover brisket (about 750g), roughly chopped or shredded
- 2 tins crushed or diced tomato
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 jar passata
- Tablespoon of cumin
- 1 can red kidney beans
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Spring onions
- Sautee the onion and garlic in a heavy saucepan until the onion becomes translucent
- Add the shredded brisket to the pan and stir
- Add the tin of tomatoes and stir, then add the passata
- Bring to the boil, add and stir in the cumin and then reduce to a simmer
- After an hour, check on the consistency, the meat should have broken down a bit and the sauce beginning to thicken up.
- With about 20 minutes to go, drain the can of kidney beans and stir them through.
ASSEMBLING YOUR BRISKET NACHOS
- Arrange the potato chips in the base of a shallow bowl or plate and top with the chili
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and place under the grill until the cheese has melted
- Add guacamole, sour cream and top with thinly sliced spring onion.