If you’re looking for a great side for your next cook up, this grain salad is an excellent accompaniment and super simple to make. We made an even simpler version of it with our Smoked Lamb Shanks recipe, but this goes a step further and adds more depth of flavour making it perfect for all types of red meat.
By using chicken stock instead of water to cook the couscous, you add another layer of amazing flavour into the dish.
And a word of warning on the pomegranate, wear gloves and make sure to cover the bench before you proceed with knocking the seeds out, otherwise it looks like a crime scene!
GRAIN SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 tin brown lentils
- Spring Onion
- Red Onion
- Goats Cheese or Feta
- Bunch of mint
- 1 Pomegranate
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Cook the couscous per the packet instructions using chicken stock (typically a cup of liquid to a cup of couscous)
- Cook the red quinoa as per packet instructions and drain the lentils
- Once cooked, allow the couscous and quinoa to cool and combine with the lentils in a deep serving bowl.
- Finely dice the red onion and the spring onion and chop the mint roughly. Combine with the grains.
- Cut the pomegranate in half, turn over a half in your hand so the cut side is facing down. Give it a light squeeze to loosen the seeds and then knock the back of the pomegranate with the blunt side of a large knife so the seeds fall into their bowl.
- Tear the goat cheese into chunks and add to the salad, pour in the olive oil, and toss to combine.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste.