There are few things better than a perfectly cooked steak, and a reverse seared steak is the best way to make sure it is cooked to perfection. Add to it our new rub, Nero, and you’ve got a flavourful crust, deep colour and incredible flavour.
The ingredient list for this couldn’t be simpler:
- Rib-eye steak, approx 1.5kg and 1 inch thick
- Moonshine BBQ Nero Rub
- Brocollini and roast potatoes to serve
REVERSE SEARED STEAK METHOD
- Trim the steak. Depending on who you purchased it from, it may have already been largely trimmed, but as you can see from the video, it may require some prep. Exposing the bone and trimming the shape will give you a nicely presented steak
- Tie the steak. Anchoring some butchers twine around the bottom of the bone, tie the steak so that it rounds itself into a perfect shape that will look good on the grill and the plate
- Set up your kettle for indirect cooking. Light a chimney full of Heat Beads BBQ Lump charcoal and place on one side of the kettle, and close the lid to allow it to come up to temp.
- Season generously in Moonshine BBQ Nero on all sides.
- Once the grill is at temp (around 320F), place the steak on the grill away from the heat and close the lid.
- Check after about 30 minutes on the internal temperature. You are looking for between 115-120.
- Once it is at this temp and a crust has formed, remove from the heat and cover loosely with foil
- Drag your charcoal using tongs or heat proof gloves to the middle of your grill and add fresh charcoal. Wait for this new charcoal to light.
- Place the steak over the lit coals and flip every 30 seconds until the desired internal temperature is reached (we like ours between 130-135F)
- Remove, rest again under foil and slice.
- Serve with roast potatoes and charred broccolini