Presentation wise, it looks amazing on a plate, and food with a handle is always good. We tend to trim ours a lot, but it’s individual preference as some people like the flavour of the fat on the cutlets.
It’s a relatively quick cook, and hot and fast reverse sear at the end will top off an amazing cut. We serve this with homemade mint sauce, which is super simple to make.
- 1 lamb rack, with fat cap removed and bones french trimmed (see if your butcher can do this to save time)
- Moonshine BBQ Lamb Rub
- Bunch of mint, leaves picked
- 1 TBS caster sugar
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
To make the mint sauce, place the mint leaves in a food processor with a pinch of salt. Add 1TBS sugar, 1/4 cup boiling water and 1/4 cup white wine vinegar and blitz until combined. Set aside until needed.
To make the lamb:
- Trim the lamb rack of all hard fat and silver skin if your butcher hasn’t done this for you
- Apply dry rub and let sit for 20 minutes. We use Moonshine BBQ Lamb Rub.
- Bring smoker or oven up to 350F (about 180C). If using the smoker, we recommend Heat Beads lump or chimney full of briquettes to get the heat up fast. Add some smoking wood to the coals (we used cherry.)
- Place rack on the grill and smoke until internal temp reached 130F. Use a probe thermometer to check this.
- Remove the rack to a plate and rest covered for 10 minutes
- Move all the coals to the centre of the BBQ using heat-proof gloves or tongs, and place cast iron pan either over them on the grate or directly on the coals
- Add some olive oil, slice garlic and rosemary
- Sear the lamb rack for 30 seconds on each side. You want a lovely colour, but not burnt
- Rest covered for another 5 minutes, then slice to serve
- Drizzle with the homemade mint sauce, serve with vegetables.
Moonshine BBQ Lamb Rub – 100g
There’s nothing more Australian that lamb, and our lamb rub is perfect on any cut – leg, shoulder, chops – you name it.
We’ve created the perfect accompaniment to the meal with this sumac based rub is infused with salt, herbs and our signature pepper mix, which when slow cooked in the oven or on the BBQ, will create a beautiful flavoursome crust.
2 in stock