I’ve been seeing a real trend in smoked beef cheeks on Instagram of late, and when you think about it, it makes complete sense. Cheeks have long been one of the most tender, melting cuts of beef when cooked long and low, which makes them perfect for BBQ.
After pursuing many of the recipes available, especially from Booma’s BBQ, I tweaked a few small things and landed on this one, but generally it follows the key points of all of them. The really important part is to make sure that you have your smoker or oven at the right heat to begin breaking down the fat in the cheeks.
What you’ll need
- 1.2 kg beef cheeks (usually 2) – multiply the recipe as needed
- Beef rub of your choice (we used Moonshine BBQ Beef Rub)
- Bottle of Stout
- 50g butter
- 2 TBS brown sugar
Smoked Beef Cheeks Method
- Prepare your smoker to 250F (about 120C) and add some chunks of smoking wood (we use apple or cherry)
- Trim the cheeks of any fat, sinew and silver skin
- Cover the cheeks in your the spice rub
- Place on the smoker, close the lid and walk away for 3 hours
- Do a temperature check at 4 hours, you want to be getting to about 165 internal temperature. If you’re not there yet, leave them on a little longer.
- Once at temperature, place the cheeks in an aluminium tray, and pour over the stout. We used Young’s Double Chocolate Stout in our cook
- Add the butter and sprinkle brown sugar over the meat, cover the tray with foil and braise
- Every 30 mins, turn the meat over in the braise
- Once the cheeks probe like butter, you’re done (at around 205F).
- Rest in the pan, and pull or slice the cheeks
The meat should be fall-apart tender, so you can either slice them or shred it. Perfect served with potatoes, or with a bacon & Brussels sprout hash.
Or try it in a pie with this alternative method
Moonshine BBQ Beef Rub – 100g
Beef is the quintessential BBQ meat, with incredible cuts such as brisket and short rib being a staple on many menus around the world.
With such rich flavoured meat, complementary, deep flavours are key. We’ve created our beef rub to be the perfect mix for short rib, brisket, and any other cut that will produce amazing flavour notes and incredible bark.
8 in stock