For this recipe, I’ve used chicken Marylands, which means a few different things, depending on where you live. For our friends in the US, it’s traditionally a dish of fried chicken and a cream gravy. In the UK, it similarly refers to fried chicken but with fritters.
Down here in Australia, it’s a little simpler, with Maryland just referring to a cut of a whole chicken leg, including the thigh and drumstick. Which makes it perfect for smoking, as it retains moisture.
A word on chicken cuts with skin, it can get quite rubbery if you’re not careful. One of the holy grails of BBQ is bite through chicken skin, but it’s a technique that requires lots of trial and error before you get it right. In this recipe we’ve used a Jaccard to pierce small holes in the skin to help some of that fat render out. You can of course use skinless if y
Ingredients and Tools
- 2-4 Free range Chicken Marylands
- Olive Oil
- Moonshine BBQ Chicken Rub
- Kosmos Q OP X-1 Sauce, or your favourite sweet sauce
- Heat Beads Coconut Shell Briquettes
- Cherry Wood
Smoked Chicken Maryland Method
- Using a chimney full of lit briquettes, prepare your smoker to 300F, and add a chunk of cherry wood for smoke.
- Trim any excess thick fat from your chicken, and then use the Jaccard to pierce the skin.
- Rub the chicken in olive oil and then season with the chicken rub, allowing to sit for 10 minutes
- Place your chicken on the smoker, and close the lid
- Begin checking for temperature after 30 mins.
- Warm your sauce on the grill, melting in a stick of butter which will help with shine
- Once the chicken is at least 165F internally it is cooked, brush on the glaze and close the lid to set. You can apply a second glaze if you want.
- Remove your chicken no higher than 175F to make sure it remains moist
Moonshine BBQ Chicken Rub – 100g
Whether you are cooking a whole chook, some chicken Maryland, or skinless fillets, the Moonshine BBQ Chicken Rub is perfect for any cut.
Packed with herbs and spices to give it both colour and flavour, it will give you a striking cut of meat to serve up at any occasion.
20 in stock