Sauces are as much a part of barbecue as dry rub and smoke, and there’s nothing better than a great glaze on your ribs to finish them off. Whiskey BBQ sauce is not new. Most call for bourbon, but in our sauce, we have used scotch.
The recipe itself is pretty simple. Put everything in a heavy based saucepan, and simmer, but you need to make sure you stir frequently to stop burning and catching in the pan.
This sauce is a perfect match for ribs cooked with Moonshine BBQ Pork Rub.
WHISKEY BBQ SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 3/4 Cup Whisky
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white or cider vinegar (we used cider)
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon of garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy based saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Allow to cool and store in a sterile container in fridge for up to 3 weeks
When you want to apply to your ribs, warm the sauce in a saucepan in the BBQ and brush on. For a real shine, heat the sauce up before applying and add cubes of butter until shiny, then apply.