It’s been a while since I cooked a single pan meal, and I’ve always wanted to cook a up a full steak and potatoes in one. This coffee rubbed skillet steak is an incredible combination of flavours, and the number of people you can cook for is limited only by your skillet and T-Bone size!
The method for this whole thing is actually super simple, it’s a matter of having everything ready to go before you start, because the cook will take about 20 minutes all up, and you’ll be eating lunch before you know it.
- Chop your herbs really finely and combine, this will make it easier to stir in
- Make sure your meat is at room temp before it hits the skillet
- Use a really good quality skillet. We use Lodge Cast Iron, and make sure it is screaming hot for the steak.
- 1 Wagyu T-Bone steak, at least 1 inch thick
- Moonshine BBQ Coffee Rub
- 6 kipfler potatoes, peeled, washed and diced
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch oregano, leaves picked
- Fresh thyme
- Asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- Unsalted butter
- Herb butter (we use Thyme and Black Pepper infused butter from Organic Milk Company)
- Light a chimney full of Heat Beads lump charcoal and place in the centre
- Heat the cast iron skillet on the charcoal, and melt a knob of butter
- Add the potatoes, stir to coat and cook until they begin to get some colour and tenderness (you can slightly parboil them before the cook to save some time)
- While this is cooking, rub your steak on both sides with some salt and the Coffee Rub and set aside.
- When the potatoes have good colour, add a pinch of finely chopped parsley and oregano and stir to coat the potatoes. Remove from the pan
- Add more butter to the pan, make sure it’s smoking hot, and then add the steak.
- Cook for 3 minutes on one side, then turn the steak over
- At the same time, return the potatoes to the pan and your asparagus spears
- Cook for 3 minutes, remove the pan from the heat, and remove the steak to a covered plate to rest
- Once rested, slice to the shape of the steak, and return to the pan.
- Add a knob of the herb butter, allow to melt, and serve
Used in this cook
Moonshine BBQ Coffee Rub – 100g
Cooking brisket, ribs, cheeks, or anything beefy?
The Moonshine BBQ Hot Coffee rub is the perfect addition to both low and slow and hot and fast grilling, thanks to a combination of espresso, chilli and spice.
5 in stock